Have you had a hair or scalp massage? Aaah…wonderful!
Starting at the top for those of us who still have hair or haven’t shaved it off, there are wonderful non-toxic hair products to use so while you’re pampering yourself – or someone else is treating you as the special person you are – you can truly just sit back, relax, and enjoy.
I spoke a couple of posts ago on great ‘feel good’ products for babies, but what about the rest of us? The Massage Oil is great for everyone. When was the last time you were treated to great back rub or shoulder massage?
For guys, here’s another way to pamper yourself:
3 Ways To The Best Shave Ever
The main thing is to use things that are healthy for you – that don’t contain chemicals. We get more than enough as it is just breathing – why add to that?
Start by reading labels and check for both ingredients and warnings. If you see, “call the Poison Control Center” that means there’s something in it that can cause some serious harm. Skull & Crossbones? Not something to have anywhere near little ones. It shouldn’t be anywhere near you either. There are safe alternatives.
Sign up for my newletter to receive my Toxin Checklists on both Household Cleaners and Personal Care Products. You’ll learn more about the unnecessary harms certain products can cause. Some are products I used in the past, and some may be products you are using now.
There IS a company you can trust – SHAKLEE! Even though I no longer have children of the age to use them, I was overjoyed to learn they have just released a new Baby and Kids product line.
- They have a 50+ year history;
- Their products are based on nature and science;
- There is NO animal testing;
- They offer a 100% guarantee;
- They list their ingredients so you know what you’re putting on your skin and in your mouth!
- They are about Mother Nature and making things in recyclable containers.
Babies are the most precious gifts in the world. Keep yours happy and healthy with Shakleebaby. Safe, pure, and natural, our pediatrician tested baby care products are formulated to keep your little one’s bottoms soft, itty-bitty toes clean, and growing body healthy. The new products include:
- Gentle Wash – Clean, fresh baby. This extra gentle wash is made with organic chamomile and lavender, pH balanced and sensitivity tested to shower even the most tender skin with love. 99% Natural; 76% Organic.
- Soothing Lotion – So soft. Organic sunflower seed oil and shea butter moisturize, and organic chamomile and lavender soothe. 99% Natural; 87% Organic.
- Massage Oil – Perfect for massaging baby or moisturizing after a bath. With organic sunflower oil, lavender, and chamomile to moisturize and smooth. 99% Natural, 99% Organic.
- Multivitamin & Multimineral Powder – One of the most comprehensive infant-toddler supplements available, it contains prebiotics to help promote a healthy immune system and bundles of vitamin D to support strong bones and teeth. Star-K Certified.
Behold the powers of Shakleekids Mighty Smart and Incredivites! These dietary supplements are made with supersafe ingredients that bring out the best in kids, like rad vision, smart noggins, and a rockin immune system. The new products include:
- Incredivites™ – Shakleekids Incredivites is the first kids chewable multivitamin in the U.S. with lactoferrin, a protein that helps busy bodies’ immune systems stay supercharged. Packed with 23 essential nutrients, it’s one of the most comprehensive supplements available – with 600IU of vitamin D to support strong bones and teeth, and 100% of the daily value for vitamins C and E per serving.
- Mighty Smart™ – Shakleekids Mighty Smart is scientifically formulated with a power-packed blast of ultra-pure DHA. Essential for early brain development, this omega-3 fatty acid has been shown to support mighty memory, mad concentration, and fierce mind skills. Star-K Certified.
All the little things we do for our family from what goes in their mouths, on their skin, and what we clean with do have an impact on health. Shaklee is a company you can trust that believes in safety and protection of our families and Mother Earth.
I think the reason more kids are being labeled ADHD and prescribed drugs like Ritalin, Adderal, Concerta, etc. is because there are too many kids in the classrooms today and not enough teachers to work with the ones who may need some extra attention and exhibit a few of the Signs and Symptoms of ADHD.
Children tend to be excited, they ask a lot of questions … it’s the nature of being a child. The drugs that are given to these kids actually make them into little robots. Up to 10% of these children are wrongly diagnosed. They may be sensitive to chemicals in cleaning products, have food allergies or a combination of both. It’s simple enough to change brands and/or diet. The best part – no prescription drugs!
It could also be the child has such a zest for life, it’s darn near impossible to be still. Another thought I have is to question how the child learns. Is it audio, visual, hands-on? I learned recently (and I’ve been out of a school for a long time) that I’m a combination – I need both audio and visual. I don’t think the questions should be only about how a child acts but also why.
Look at their diet and lack of exercise. Too many children are getting a steady diet of fast food (no or very little good nutrition there) and more of them spend time sitting either in front of the TV or a computer rather than outside running and playing. Use the Vitamin Wheel posted at the bottom of this page to learn more about the important role of vitamins in the body.
Read about the chemicals in everyday household cleaners. You can also subscribe (upper right of this page) to receive my free Toxin Checklists which cover not only chemicals in common cleaners and personal care products but also their warnings and health effects.
An excellent book on natural alternatives for the special child(ren) in your life is listed under ‘I Recommend’ – Twelve Effective Ways to Help Your ADD/ADHD Child.
PS Have you noticed the signs posted in school zones “This is a drug free area”? Wonder how many different drugs you’d see lined up in the nurse’s office? How many are really necessary?
- Type 1 diabetes usually strikes children and young adults, although the disease can appear at any age. Type 1 may be autoimmune, genetic, and/or environmental. There is no known way to prevent this type of diabetes.
- Type 2 diabetes, which is linked to obesity and physical inactivity, accounts for 90%–95% of diabetes cases and most often appears in people older than 40. Type 2 is associated with older age, obesity, family history of diabetes, history of gestational diabetes, impaired glucose metabolism, physical inactivity, race, and ethnicity. Type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents, although still rare, is being diagnosed more frequently among American Indians, African Americans, Hispanic/Latino Americans, and Asian/Pacific Islanders.
- 23.6 million people in the United States (7.8% of the total population) have diabetes. Of these, 5.7 million are undiagnosed.
- In 2007, about 1.6 million new cases of diabetes were diagnosed in people aged 20 years or older.
- African American, Hispanic, American Indian, and Alaska Native adults are twice as likely as white adults to have diabetes.
- If current trends continue, 1 in 3 Americans will develop diabetes sometime in their lifetime, and those with diabetes will lose, on average, 10–15 years of life.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults (aged 20–74 years), kidney failure, and nontraumatic lower-extremity amputations.
- Diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death on U.S. death certificates in 2006. Overall, the risk of death among people with diabetes is about twice that of people without diabetes of similar age.
- In 1999–2000, 7.0% of U.S. adolescents aged 12–19 years had impaired fasting glucose.
This is such a serious subject, let’s loosen up a bit with Footloose
P.S. Obesity opens the door for other diseases such as cancer, and taking control of your weight through simple diet changes can definitely help to beat the odds.
Have you put together a natural care health center of your own? Most of us have a “medicine cabinet”. This one is for the ‘boo-boos’ you can’t see but can cause a lot of health issues with your body, mind, and behavior if left untreated. Much of the following is available free of charge – well, except for the time they take – for anyone:
- stop and take a few slow, deep breaths;
- go for a walk; and if it’s in a light spring rain – so much the better (and don’t use an umbrella);
- stand in place and do a few slow stretches;
- go out and toss a ball or frisbee w/your kids or spouse (doesn’t matter if you can’t catch);
- I also keep some happy tabs and anti-stress in my own natural care health center because there are times when the body really does need help to cope or you really don’t have the time;
Did you know that worrying / frowning causes wrinkles? I’m personally fighting that process – aging, too – and will talk about anti-aging in a future post. It’s an amazing subject!
P.S. Of course, I absolutely must add music as a stress reliever … you guessed it … Don’t Worry, Be Happy!
- No sugar – soda is totally elimated as it contains high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), sodium benzoate and caffeine;
- Pizza is now only for very special occasions;
- Milk is limited to skim – regular milk and cheeses thickened the mucus making it more difficult for him to breath (due to asthma).
As you can see, his diet consists of things that he really likes but aren’t healthy. He doesn’t care for the taste or texture of much of anything. Are you wondering how he’s staying alive? I am. When he visits for any length of time, he gets whole food supplements and meal replacement shakes.
I am still learning to read food label ingredients and totally avoid anything that has HFCS, trans fats or Splenda, sucralose, Equal, NutraSweet, etc. and instead use Xylitol, Stevia, or organic sugar.
It’s been more of a lifestyle change creating a diet without harmful preservatives or chemicals. I refer to our grandkids as a second chance but it’s really an opportunity to become more aware, healthy, and enjoy life more fully than ever before.
Now … for a bit of fun exercise, let’s Twist and Shout.
Used to be my “AAA Kid” couldn’t do much because of his asthma. Now, he can go outside and play like most other kids. A few of the things we’ve done that may be of help to you:
- wall-to-wall carpeting is gone and replaced by scatter/throw rugs that can be tossed in the washer;
- open windows daily for at least 5 minutes (I’d leave them open constantly if I could as I love to listen to the birds and our wind chimes, but sometimes it’s too hot/cold depending on the season);
- switched our chemical-laden household cleaners to natural, safe and biodegradable;
- we live on a property with a lot of trees which help clean the air, but in addition to that, we’ve got quite a few green plants throughout our home;
- invested in a high quality air purifier;
- we are fortunate enough to live in an area where I don’t have to have curtains or drapes which are great for attracting and holding particulates. If you do need to have window coverings, I would recommend blinds that are easy to wipe down on a regular basis.
Think I went overboard? When it comes to the air we breathe and the health of our kids, I don’t think anyone really can.
Needless to say, we do lots of laughing and dance more than when I didn’t understand what was happening. After all, isn’t having fun and enjoying life what being or feeling young should be about?