What an incredible recommendation for health and safety! The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has issued a policy that can truly affect everyone. This can be the avenue to take in order to remove the toxic chemicals from your workplace, the daycare your child attends, where your children go to school, but especially your home – where most people spend the majority of time.
Cleaning house is not a little matter and can have far-reaching health effects; whether you’re a cleaning fanatic or someone like me who cleans when you’ll see the difference. It’s all in what is used. Toxins in our homes – mainly the chemicals in our cleaning products – are being linked more and more often with many of the diseases that are rapidly taking control of our lives. Have you noticed the rise in numbers of children diagnosed with asthma and cancer?
Used to be my “AAA Kid” couldn’t do much because of his asthma. Now, he can go outside and play like most other kids. A few of the things we’ve done that may be of help to you:
- wall-to-wall carpeting is gone and replaced by scatter/throw rugs that can be tossed in the washer;
- open windows daily for at least 5 minutes (I’d leave them open constantly if I could as I love to listen to the birds and our wind chimes, but sometimes it’s too hot/cold depending on the season);
- switched our chemical-laden household cleaners to natural, safe and biodegradable;
- we live on a property with a lot of trees which help clean the air, but in addition to that, we’ve got quite a few green plants throughout our home;
- invested in a high quality air purifier;
- we are fortunate enough to live in an area where I don’t have to have curtains or drapes which are great for attracting and holding particulates. If you do need to have window coverings, I would recommend blinds that are easy to wipe down on a regular basis.
Think I went overboard? When it comes to the air we breathe and the health of our kids, I don’t think anyone really can.
Needless to say, we do lots of laughing and dance more than when I didn’t understand what was happening. After all, isn’t having fun and enjoying life what being or feeling young should be about?